Mix up these healthy Strawberry Muffins in just about 30 minutes and serve up a delicious breakfast or snack packed with whole grains, fiber, vitamins. Bonus: They store well in the fridge if you want to make them ahead!
Healthy Strawberry Muffins
I love it when I find berries at affordable prices at the store, either fresh or frozen. And while my girls tend to gobble them up fresh, I love to bake with them when there are extras. These easy Strawberry Muffins pack in a lot of nutrition, but are also tender and naturally sweet enough to nourish and please the kids.
TIP:You can make them ahead and tuck them into the fridge or freezer and serve as a quick breakfast or snack throughout the week.
Ingredients You Need
The ingredients in these muffins are very straight forward and include:
- whole wheat flour(or gluten free cup-for-cup flour)
- rolled oats
- baking powderandbaking soda
- maple syrup(or honey)
- vanilla extract
- optional lemon zest
TIP:Everything except the strawberries is a normal pantry ingredient in the hopes that you can make a batch of these without a special trip to the store!
Whole-Wheat Strawberry Muffins
The base for these muffins iswhole wheat flour无谷蛋白选项(见下文)和燕麦。This ensures that there are plenty of complex carbs to fuel the kids with balanced energy. The fruit and lemon ensures that the final texture is light and fluffy.
How to Make Strawberry Muffins Step-by-Step
Here’s a look at the easy process for making these muffins. Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Stir together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients.
- Add the lemon zest (I use a finemicroplane).
- Stir batter together.
- Divide among amuffin pan.
- Bake and let cool.
TIP:Dice the berries up small so they are easy to bite into when eating the muffins.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Here are the substitutes in case you have an intolerance or allergy in your house. Instead of the egg, use 2 tablespoonsground flaxseedand 1/4 cup water. Use an unsweetened plain nondairy milk for cow’s milk. Usemaple syrupinstead of honey.
Once cooled, you can store the muffins in anairtight containerin the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve chilled or warmed slightly. Or, store in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw one at a time for 15-30 seconds in the microwave or at room temp.
Yes, use 1/2 cupall-purpose flourinstead and bake as directed.
What goes well with these muffins?
We often have these as a simple breakfast, snack, or even lunch component with a simple side of fruit. If I’m feeling fancy I may add some cheese or a smoothie. Really anything goes! You can also top them with a little butter,almond butter, or cream cheese for additional flavor if you’d like.
Tips for Making the Best Strawberry Muffins
- Dice the berries into small pieces to ensure the batter around them holds together well as they bake.
- If using frozen berries, let them thaw enough that you can separate them and cut them into 1/2-1-inch pieces with kitchen shears. Stir into the batter while still frozen.
- Use the fresh lemon to add bright flavor.
- Use a cake tester inserted into the center of the muffin to test for doneness. It should come out cleanly.
- Remove the muffins from the pan after they come out of the oven so they can cool on a wire rack, rather than continue to bake in the hot pan.
- 1/4杯糖粉和1 tablesp搅拌在一起oon milk to make an optional icing if desired.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you make the recipe, so please comment below to share!Print
I love the burst of flavor that the fresh lemon adds to this recipe so I strongly suggest you use it if you can, but they are also great without it!(Recipe updated slightly April 2021 to ensure dry ingredients are evenly distributed throughout.)
- 1 1/2 cupswhole wheat (or gluten-free cup-for-cup flour bend)
- 1/2 cuprolled oats
- 1 teaspoonbaking powder
- 1/2 teaspoonbaking soda
- 1 cupmilk
- 1/3 cuphoney ormaple syrup
- 1/4 cupcanola oil or melted and slightly cooled butter
- 1egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoonpurevanilla extract
- 1 cupdiced strawberries, stems removed
- 1 teaspoonlemon zest, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease a standard muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Add the flour, oats,baking powder, andbaking sodato a medium bowl. Stir together.
- Add the milk, honey, oil, egg,vanilla extract, strawberries, and lemon zest, if using. Stir together gently to just combine.
- Evenly divide the batter between the muffin tin using about 1/4 cup per cup.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a minute or two, and remove to cool fully on a wire rack. Use a paring knife around the edges if needed to help you remove them from the pan.
Store fully cooled muffins for up to 3 days in anairtight containerin the fridge or 3 months in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer.
To make these egg-free:Instead of the egg, use 2 tablespoonsground flaxseedand 1/4 cup water.
To make these dairy-free:Use an unsweetened plain nondairy milk for cow’s milk.
Dice the berries into small pieces to ensure the batter around them holds together well as they bake.
Use a cake tester inserted into the center of the muffin to test for doneness. It should come out cleanly.
Remove the muffins from the pan after they come out of the oven so they can cool on a wire rack, rather than continue to bake in the hot pan.
1/4杯糖粉和1 tablesp搅拌在一起oon milk to make an optional icing. Drizzle it over the muffins with a spoon.
Keywords:strawberry muffins, muffins, strawberries