Learn the basics of how to do the feeding approach known as “baby led weaning” and the best first foods for baby to make starting solids easy and fun. Plus: Learn why it’s perfectly okay to use a combined approach of blw and purees.
小费：这个方法在出版后十年前变得流行了宝宝LED断奶: The Essential Guide to Introducing Solid Foodby UK author吉尔·罗沃利。
根据这一点American Academy of Pediatrics, a baby is ready to start solids with baby led weaning when:
- They’ve doubled their birth weight (at least).
- They can hold their head up well and are starting to sit up unsupported.
- They show signs of being interested in food (watching you eat, reaching for food when you’re eating, etc).
- When you feed them, they are able to move the food around in their mouths—rather than spit it right out.
小费：Look for a highchair that allows a baby to sit up relatively straight so they can have good posture and better control over their arms and hands.
How to Start Baby Led Weaning
The first time you offer solids is such a fun milestone, so you’ll be ready once you follow these simple steps.
- Plan to introduce water when you start solids. I recommend atrainer cup.
- Choose one food to start with and plan to offer only one food at a time.
小费：If you start offering solids and baby just doesn’t seem interested at all, it’s okay. Take a break for a few days or a few weeks and start again. Each kiddo has their own unique timeline.
Here are a few more tips to consider and review before you get started.
- 了解GAG反射。苍鹭不同于窒息，最常见的是宝宝正在学习在嘴里移动食物的标志 - 并从嘴里脱离，这是你想要他们拥有的技能！
- 刷上婴儿准备好的如何了解的基础知识start solids。（返回此帖子的顶端以查找标志。）
- Check your own expectations of what will happen and simply allow your baby to take the lead.
- Start with one new food a day or every few days.
- Vary the textures of foods you offer to start exposing baby to many right from the start.
- Offer water in a啜饮杯or smallopen cup。
用婴儿led的原始耐药或泥沼都是完全可接受的方式，将婴儿引入固体食物 - 但主题可以如此加热！有很多压力要做“正确的”方式，我在这里说没有一个。你100％可以做一个或另一个，或者将两个组合在一起，使其为您的家人工作。都很好！
Remember, the goal with first foods for baby is that they’re introduced to flavors, nutrients, and foods they can easily eat or suck on. It should be an enjoyable milestone for all involved.
Here are some of our favorite first foods to offer baby led weaning style. You want foods to be finger sized so they are large enough that baby can’t force the whole piece into their mouth, and a shape that’s easy for a 6 month old to hold with their chubby little hands. These are some of our favorites.
- Roasted sweet potato wedges
- 烤苹果楔子, skin on to help them hold together
- Roasted or steamed broccoli florets(big enough for baby to hold)
- Melon slices
- Banana with some of the peel still on
- Toast sticks with捣碎的鳄梨
小费：The foods should generally be soft enough to squish between your fingers with the exception of the large pieces of meat.
Foods to Avoid Serving While Doing BLW
You want any foods you offer to a baby while doing baby led weaning to be soft enough to squish between your fingers and safe for them to eat and digest. Plan to avoid:
- Anything hard, sticky, or crunchy (like raw apple or carrot, whole nuts, crackers, or a big spoonful or nut butter)
- Cow’s milk (which is difficult for kids under 1 to digest;plain yogurt虽然是好的）
- 加ed sugar (they simply don’t need it)
- Super slippery foods that would be hard for baby to hold (which can be frustrating)
小费：Always sit with your baby and watch them try to eat. They are your best guide for making adjustments to the foods you serve.
There are many parents who dislike this method of feeding because it often sounds like a baby is choking. And while there are surely some incidences of choking, what’s more likely is that a baby will occasionally gag on a piece of food that gets into their mouth that they weren’t expecting.
But remember: Gagging is a sign that baby is doing what she needs to in order to move the food around in their mouth as they learn to eat. It usually sounds more dangerous than it actually is.
小费：If the sound of gagging really freaks you out, you’re not alone. Consider offering more preloaded spoons with purees to start your journey more slowly.
How to Cut Foods for BLW
- 对于宝宝来拿起的食物可以拿起 - 他们不能拿起小块，直到更接近9个月，当他们培养使用手指在被称为“钳子掌握”中的能力时。
- Foods that aren’t too slippery—so you can wash and leave some of the peel on fresh foods like bananas, avocado, kiwi, and mango.
Will my baby actually eat much food with BLW?
Do babies need teeth for baby led weaning?
没有！牙龈是超强的，前牙不用于咀嚼 - 当背部臼齿进来时会发生这种情况。牙齿真的与宝宝是否可以吃固体无关。
TIP: Learn more about what toexpect from teething here.
Can you mix baby led weaning and purees?
Absolutely! I think it’s a great idea to mix the two methods simply because it gives you many more options for foods and allows the baby to experience more textures. I recommend allowing babies to feed themselves preloaded勺s- 你把酱放在勺子上，然后把它交给他们实际放置勺进入他们的嘴巴 - 所以他们仍然可以控制嘴里的东西。
小费：Feeding somepureesis also helpful if you’ll be sending food with a baby to daycare since the care provider may not have experience with blw.
Best First Foods for Baby: Purees
以下是我们最喜欢的造林，开始在他们的时候开始提供宝贝ready to start solids。Remember: There’s no evidence that says that you need to start with vegetables versus fruits, so go with something that tastes good to you. Start with single foods pureedsmooth and offer just a little at a time on a spoon.
- Mashed roasted sweet potato puree
- Mashed avocado puree
- Mashed banana puree
- Butternut squash puree
- Oatmeal baby cereal（加入铁）
How do I know when baby has had enough?
If your baby is eating and then starts to turn her head away or just refuses to open her mouth, she’s done! Babies may also start to fuss if they’ve had enough. Learning this new skill takes time and babies can become tired fairly quickly into the process, so don’t expect them to always eat very much or to last very long at the table. This stage is about exploration!
I love offering purees on a预装勺子。要做到这一点，父母将一些食物放在勺子上，然后把它用手给宝宝。然后宝宝可以自己带来食物。这为您提供了一些相同的宝宝带来断奶的优势，但对许多父母来说都可以更舒服。
Remember, you can mix what you offer, going back and forth between purees and blw finger foods, so you can offer the same food two different ways to let baby explore. The main goal is to avoid forcing baby to take more bites than they want to, which can sometimes happen with purees.
When to Introduce Potentially Allergenic Foods
In recent years, guidelines have been updated on when to introduce潜在的过敏原including peanuts, eggs, and shellfish, so unless you have a family history of a food allergy, you can go ahead and introduce them soon after baby starts eating solids. In fact, research is showing that introducing these foods early can actually protect baby from developing an allergy. Talk to your pediatrician if you have concerns.
小费：薄的不含花生酱用水形成非常薄的Peanut Butter Pureeuntil it’s about the consistency of regular yogurt and offer a very small amount on a spoon or spread on a toast stick.
What does a baby led weaning meal look like for months 7 and 8?
小费：我的婴儿食品Charthas loads of with ideas for blw foods and purees by month.
If you’re ready to start solids with baby, or you’re just curious what it looks like to do a mix of baby led weaning and purees, check out my美味的婴儿食品食品食品纸。它与舞台上舞台，用特定食物开始，用简单的食谱和易喂养的提示。
I’d love to hear any questions you have with BLW or if your baby had a first food that I didn’t list here. Please comment below to share your experience!打印
- Banana: 1 small ripe banana with peel on
- 烤红薯楔子：1个小甘薯，1茶匙olive oil
- Roasted Apple Wedges: 1 small apple, butter or neutral oil
- Roasted Broccoli: small broccoli crown cut into large florets or 1 cup florets, 1 teaspoonolive oil
- 炒青豆：4-5个绿豆，1茶匙olive oil
- Pan-Seared Chicken Thighs: 1 chicken thigh, 1 teaspoonolive oil，1个大蒜丁香，可选
- Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges:将烤箱预热至400度并线路边缘baking sheetwith foil. Wash and dry the sweet potato. (You don’t need to peel it.) Cut in half, then cut lengthwise into strips. Cut each strip in half again until each is about 1/2-inch thick. Slice in half horizontally if the sweet potato is very long. (Each strip should be about the size of your finger.) Place into a bowl and toss with theolive oil。Spread onto preparedbaking sheet并烤22-25分钟或直到柔软。让稍微冷却并服务。
- Roasted Apple Wedges:将烤箱预热至375摄氏度。将黄油或油放入馅饼板或烤盘中。在烤箱里温暖几分钟融化。从烤箱中取出。将苹果切成约1/2英寸的切片并丢弃核心。用油和折腾成烤盘，结合起来。加cinnamonif desired. Bake for 28-34 minutes, or until tender when poked with a fork.让稍微冷却并服务。
- 烤西兰花小花:Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the broccoli onto a rimmedbaking sheetand toss with theolive oil, coating and mixing well until all of the florets are a little shiny and coated with oil. Roast for 15-18 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly and serve.
- Melon slices:切成厚厚的棍子或楔子，向宝宝提供。
- Avocado Spears(make sure the avocado is ripe and soft): Cut a thick strip of avocado and offer to baby. You can leave the peel on if that makes it easier for baby to hold (just wash it first).
- Lamb or beef:没有盐和黄油或用盐和黄油准备烤肉，牛排或剁碎olive oil直到煮熟的介质。至少提供手指或鼓槌的厚度厚度。
- Pan-Seared Chicken Thighs:Warm 1 tablespoonolive oil或在中热的大煎锅中的黄油。如果需要，将鸡大腿和顶部添加几片新鲜的大蒜。盖住并煮4-5分钟。删除封面。翻转并烹饪额外4-5分钟或直到肉温计寄存器165度F.
存放任何剩菜气密容器in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat briefly if needed.
Remember that it’s normal for babies to take time to actually ingest the food. Part of the process is exploring all of the senses related to the experience of eating.