This Vanilla Oat Smash Cake with Yogurt Frosting is an easy, yet super special first birthday cake! It’s moist, flavorful, and so yummy—all without refined sugar. Plus: I have allergy-friendly and make-ahead options too.
Healthy First Birthday Cake
This smash cake recipe comes from my friend Sarah Crowder ofPunctuated with Food. She made it for her youngest daughter Ruby when she turned one and has been making it ever since for other occasions too! I’ve made this cake about a dozen times in various forms over the years and I love both how easy it is to make—no special skills required!—and how good the final result tastes.
1st Birthday Smash Cake Recipe
This healthy first birthday cake is made with whole grains and natural sweeteners, but it is so fun and festive to celebrate the big day! The cake tastes like maple and vanilla, with a slightly tangy yogurt frosting. We like to top it with fresh fruit for a simple and fresh finish.
A smash cake is a cake meant for a baby turning 1. The idea is that they will eat, smash, and generally make a mess of all by themselves using their hands and sometimes their bodies! It’s a fun tradition to mark a big milestone, and this version of a smash cake is an easy one to make at home.
TIP:You can place the cake onto the highchair tray, or onto the floor with baby set on top of a sheet to contain the mess a bit.
Ingredients in this First Birthday Smash Cake
Here’s a look at what’s inside this simple cake.
The process for making this first birthday cake is simple. Here’s a look.
- You’ll need three5-inch cake pansfor this recipe. Grease and line them with羊皮纸.
- Gently stir together the dry ingredients and add to the wet.
- Divide between greased cake pans and bake.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Remove cakes from the pans and cool fully.
TIP:There are additional size options at the bottom of the recipe if you prefer to use 6 inch cake pans, 8 inch cake pans, or make this as cupcakes.
How to Make Healthy Yogurt Frosting
结霜是用全脂牛奶平原希腊yogurt, a littlemaple syrup, and a touch ofvanilla extract. It’s slightly tangy from the yogurt and super simple to make. And there’s no need for cups and cups of powdered sugar to make it thick and spreadable! Here’s a look at the simple frosting and assembly method.
- Strain the yogurt in a fine-mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth or paper towels over a bowl. This makes it thicker.
- Stir yogurt together withmaple syrup和vanilla in a bowl.
- Add some frosting on top of the first layer. Spread.
- Add another cake and more frosting.
- Add the third cake and top with the rest of the frosting.
- Add berries if you’d like.
TIP:You can leave it plain, top with berries, addsprinkles, or add a candle.
Gluten-Free First Birthday Cake
Dairy-Free 1st Birthday Cake
You can make this recipe without dairy by usingcoconut oil和a dairy-free yogurt. See the Notes section at the bottom of the recipe card for the details.
Egg-Free 1st Birthday Cake
After having a lot of requests, I tried this without eggs and am so happy with the results! I added a ripe banana and used a small amount of regular flour to help bind the batter. The banana flavor is subtle and the cake is moist and sweet. See the Notes section at the bottom of the recipe for the details. (ThisBlueberry Smash Cakeis also egg-free.)
Can I make this birthday cake ahead of time?
Sure, this is a great first birthday cake to make in advance, especially if you’ll be busy celebrating your new toddler on their big day. Simply bake the cakes and make the frosting the day before. Store the cakes, once fully cooled after baking, in airtight containers (in one layer) at room temperature. Store the frosting in anairtight containerin the fridge.
TIP:I recommend frosting just before serving, but you can frost up to an hour ahead and leave it at room temperature.
Does this first birthday cake contain sugar?
It does contain natural sugars frommaple syrup. Your little one’s first birthday is a big celebration, so it’s only fitting that they have a really special cake to mark the day! (Though this is so good you might hope that they don’t in fact smash it so you can have a piece for yourself. I once used just two layers of the cake for the smash cake and saved the third one so the rest of us could have a slice!)
TIP: If you want to use lessmaple syrup, a few people have replaced half of it with very smooth mashed ripe banana.
What’s the texture of this cake like?
Watch this Smash Cake in action below!
Tips for Making the Best 1st Birthday Smash Cake
- Grease each cake pan and line with a羊皮纸round. Then grease again. This will help the cakes stay together well when you turn them out from the pan. (To make the羊皮纸rounds,将锅追踪到羊皮纸上并剪掉三次。修剪略微贴在锅底的底部。）
- Let the cakes cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning them out onto the rack for the best texture.
- 为了使this Cake Ahead:You can bake the cakes up to a day ahead. Let cool fully on wire racks and store at room temperature in anairtight container. Frost soon before serving.
- 为了使the Frosting Ahead:Prepare the frosting as directed and store in anairtight containerin the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- 烘烤三个4英寸的平底锅：Divide the recipe in half. The baking time will be 16-18 minutes and the layers will be slightly thinner than shown here.
- To Bake in Three 6-inch Pans:The baking time will be 20-22 minutes and the layers will be slightly thinner than shown here.
- To Bake in Two 8-inch Pans:Bake in two 8-inch roundcake pans, using about 2 cups of batter in each pan and baking for 18-20 minutes. The layers will be thinner than shown here.
- 为了使as Cupcakes:Use about 3 tablespoons of the batter in each paper cupcake liner to make about 16 cupcakes. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean (I did 20 minutes). The rest of the recipe is the same.
- 为了使Oat Flour:Placerolled oats进入A.blender. Cover and grind until resembles a fairly fine flour. Measure the amount of flour needed for the cake after grinding.
- 为了使Dairy-free:Use melted and cooledcoconut oilin place of the butter and nondairy Greek-style yogurt for the frosting.
- You can try making this withwhole wheat flourif you prefer—though check for doneness closer to 18-22 minutes and stir very gently to avoid overworking the batter.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you try this cake, so please comment below to share!Print
This smash cake has a base ofrolled oats和is simply decorated—so your little one can dig right into the deliciousness. You can start prepping the frosting the night before. This recipe is baked inmini cake pansto create a small, personally sized cake for your newly minted toddler!This recipe was updated May 2020.
- Strain the yogurt for the Greek Yogurt Frosting.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease three5-inch cake pans和place a round of parchment inside of each. Grease again. (Trace the pan onto羊皮纸和cut out three times to make the rounds. Trim slightly to fit inside the bottom of each pan.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between prepared cake pans, using about 1 1/3 cups batter in each pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 22-26 minutes. Remove from oven and place pans onto a wire rack. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then carefully invert to cool fully.丢弃羊皮纸轮。
- To assemble, place one cake on your serving plate. Top with about 1/3-1/2 cup of frosting, spreading it in an even layer just past the edges. Add the second, repeat with frosting, and then repeat with the third cake . Use an offset spatula or knife to scrape off the frosting overhang for a “naked” cake look, or use additional frosting to coat the entire cake.
- 顶部用浆果和服务......如同，让生日kiddo dig in！
Greek Yogurt Frosting:Place 1 1/2 cups whole milk yogurt in a sieve or fine-mesh strainer lined with a paper towel with a bowl underneath. Let sit for 30 minutes or up to overnight. Transfer the yogurt to a bowl and stir in 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extra.Refrigerate until ready to use.
This makes a tall cake, so you can use just two layers of the cake for the smash cake and save the third one so the rest of the family can have a slice.
为了使this Cake Ahead:You can bake the cakes up to a day ahead. Let cool fully on wire racks and store at room temperature in anairtight container. Frost soon before serving.
为了使the Frosting Ahead:Prepare the frosting as directed and store in anairtight containerin the fridge for up to 24 hours.
烘烤三个4英寸的平底锅：Divide the recipe in half. The baking time will be 16-18 minutes and the layers will be slightly thinner than shown here.
To Bake in three 6-inch Pans:The baking time will be 20-22 minutes and the layers will be slightly thinner than shown here.
To Bake in two 8-inch Pans:Bake in two 8-inch roundcake pans, using about 2 cups of batter in each pan and baking for 18-20 minutes. The layers will be thinner than shown here.
为了使as Cupcakes:Use 3 tablespoons of the batter in each paper cupcake liner to make about 16 cupcakes. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean (I did 20 minutes). The rest of the recipe is the same.
为了使Dairy-free:Use melted and cooledcoconut oilin place of the butter and nondairy Greek-style yogurt for the frosting.
为了使Egg-Free:Follow the recipe as written, using the ingredient list below, and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes to bake, testing the center with a cake tester to be sure its done. Let it cool completely in the pan. Store it in the fridge if you need to make it ahead.
2 cupsoat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 teaspoonsbaking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cupmaple syrup
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups sliced banana)
2 teaspoonvanilla extract
Keywords:first birthday cake, smash cake, 1st birthday cake